If we like walking;
- Kos Castle of Neratzia: It was built during the beginning of 14th century A.D. by Knights of St. John, using material from ancient sites. It is an exceptional sample of defensive architecture of that period. It was controlling the sea passage between ancient Halicarnassus and Kos together with the opposite coast located Knights castle of St. Peter. For its strategic location, the Ottomans tried to conquer it many times and finally they did at 1522.
- Kos Hospitaller house of Count Francesco Sans : Built in 1514 by Count of Kos, Francesco Sans and it is the only secular building of the Knights period on Kos
- Kos Plane tree of Hippocrates : The age-old plane tree that under its shade Hippocrates was teaching his students, according to tradition.
- Kos Mosque of Gazi Hasan Pasha or Loggia : It was built by Gazi Hasan Pasha at 1786 . For its stone work it has been used ancient material from the nearby ancient Greek sanctuaries of the harbour neighborhood while the cistern of its fountain comes from an ancient Roman sarcophagus.
- Kos Neighborhood of the Harbour-Ancient Agora : One of the biggest archaeological sites with ruins that are dated from the Hellenistic era up to the medieval period.
- Kos Altar of Dionysus : Dorian style ancient Greek temple and Hellenistic altar dedicated to the ancient Greek god Dionysus.
- Kos Casa Romana (Roman House) : A big restored roman mansion of the 3rd century B.C. built on top of a previous one dated back on the Hellenistic period, decorated with mosaic floors and frescoes. It’s a characteristic sample of the wealth of Kos island during the Roman period.
- Kos Roman Odeon : Music event and contest area in honour of Asklepions during the Roman period.
- Kos Western Archaeological Site : Within the excavated area has been found the central Street that led to the country fields (Decumanus Maximus) and the Street that led to the harbour (Cardo). One of the most important builgdings is the roman house with the mosaic of the ‘’Abduction of Europe’’, the Thermae, the Arcade (Stoa) of the Gymnasium (Xyston), the Nymphaeum, the building with the mosaic of ‘’Prince Paris judgment’’ and finally two early Christian basilica churches.
- Kos Old Town : Quarter of the old town that was preserved during the catastrophical eartquake of 1933. Today along its narrow streets there are shops, cafes and restaurants.
- Kos Churck of St. Paraskevi : The coiling of the locals led to construction of this church, against the Italian attempt of interfering within the spiritual issues. It was built between 1931-32. It was designed by the famous architect Orsini in Byzantine style. It is a representative sample of a Greek church.
- Kos ‘’ Panellenion ’’ Complex: Designed in 1933 and constructed in 1935. It was the offices of the Italian fascist political party next to the cinema-theater. Its location in the centre of the town and its characteristic architecture (fascist and international style) were intensifying its purpose that was conversion through the media.
- Kos Municipal Market : It was designed in 1933 and it was built in 1935 according to colonial Italian buildings of northern Africa. Arabesque style on its details. Up to nowadays, it is used as a green and fruit market.
- Kos Mosque of Defterdar : Two-storeyed mosque built by a tax collector, İbrahim Efendi during the end of the 18th century.
- Archaeological Museum : Visit the statue exhibition of the Hellenistic and Roman period and the mosaic floor that depicts the arrival of semi-god Asklepios on the island, welcomed by Hippocrates.
Interesting sites on your bicycle trail in Kos
- Kos Marina: In the centre of the nicest eastern coastal part of the island, at the modern marina, you can stop at the cafe or for a stroll around the yachts.
- Kos The Wetland of Psalidi is there to be explored. Ideal place for relaxation in natüre. Rare bird species are finding shelter in the rich flora of the area, while beautiful beaches of Psalidi are just the right place for those who prefer serenity.
- Kos Therma : Those who can cycle for another 8 km after Psalidi, will find the hot springs of Kos, rich in sülfür and beneficial for health and well-being. Thema is isolated in between rock and sea, a hidden beauty from the rest of the World.
- Kos Central Market of Kos Town : In Eleftherias sq. on Hippocratous st. And the nearby roads you will find many cafes for a relaxing stop and shops so you will not leave the island without the necessary little presents and souvenirs.
If you prefer to relax... This route is the best choice. Enjoy the view of the picturesque harbour and the journey from Averof st. with the shops, sea front cafeterias and the popular - among the locals – fish tavernas . The road leads to Akti Zouroudi where you can wnjoy swimming in a well organized beach or have a drink in the many cafe-beach bars.
On the way, don’t miss a stroll in the narrow streets of Kritika where you will probably see the locals having their coffee in their house yards. On the way back, invest some time fort he market of Kanari st. It’s a big road full of cafe-restaourants, and all types of shops. For more beach side cycling and fun, follow the road towards Lambi and Faros.
Villages in Kos
Kos Thermes: The Sulphuric Springs The area of Cav o-Fokas in Psalidi next to Kos town, provides beautiful coastal scenery for those wishing to cycl around . At the and of this road at the sulphur springs of thermal where the sea is warm all year round and believed to have therapeutic properties.
Kos Tigaki: In 12 km distance from Kos town you can find Tigaki . Very much a daytime resort with popular beach and watersports .
Kos Marmari: Marmari another beautiful sany beach is at Marmari . There you can eat in trafitional Greek tavernas.
Kos Zia: Apicturesque mountain village nestled on a steep hill side with spectacular views over the nort hern coastline towards the neighbouring islands. It’is narrow streets are lined with local handicrafts and gifts.
Kos Platani: On the way to Asklepion you will find Platani village . Do not miss a short stop to enjoy the traditional cuisine or ‘’meze’’. Easy Access with the city mini bus. Starting point: main city bus.